Back on HF – now remote

As I live in the city, space for antennas is limited, specially for the lower bands like 40-80-160

I have been trying to find a solution for this problem. I work for Vodafone in Iceland, I found out that we have a transmitter site just outside of Reykjavik – about 20km direct line from my home QTH.

The transmitter site has a 50m high tower for cellular and TV/FM broadcasting. Small house and good connectivity to the internet.

I asked around and got a yes from the persons running the site for putting a small “half rack” of equipment into the transmitter site. Antennas must be outside of the actual site. 

The area is quite close to the city dumping grounds so it’s not really prime real estate. Next thing I needed was permission from the City for the antennas. I managed to land a provisional licence for antennas just for one year at a time. I’m working on getting a more permanent licence, but as the area is not planned for any development I don’t foresee any issues getting the licence prolonged. 

But the takeoff to the west is amazing, it’s has sloping grounds towards the sea. 5 Km to the north is Esja, a 1km high mountain ridge, so that limits the takeoff to about 10-12° – Should be fine.

I started building everything I need while I waited for the licences process.

Using  a K3 with RemoteRig RRC controller

Amplifier is homebuilt SSPA – remote operated

Relay control is Raspberry Pi – with home written code

Everything else is homebuilt

Plan for 2018 is the following

40m rotary dipole

80m 4Square

160m Inverted-L or some vertical variant – using the Vodafone 50m tower for support

73 de TF3T

70cm EME QRV

First contact made with OK1DFC! first OK – TF !!! 5 Nov 2014!

TF3CY 70cm EME
TF3CY 70cm EME

My station 100W, 4x 15 el using a Yeasu G-5600 rotor , IC-910 (borrowed) and a old RFC 4-310 amplifier that is mounted 2m under the antennas -as my LNA failed. I have a new LNA coming in. Sequencing is done by a home built sequencer, signalink USB soundcard interface.

Further improvements will be made later on. I already have a KW kit from W6PQL that I need to build and get working. Plan is to get a 70cm transverter so I can use it with my K3 + LP-Pan + MAP65.

very happy !

73, Benni TF3CY

Current project – 2m amplifier using a BLF188XR

I decided to abandon my GS35B project, manly due to lack of drive power … from my current exciter. I was originally going to build a 200w SSPA just to drive the GS35b amplifer, that was getting very complex – no access to 20A of 28v for the kit I had.. so I decided to jump on the Freescale/NXP design everyone is talking about. I turned to Jim W6PQL for parts!

Project is coming along – must finish – must get EME antennas up!!

.. when I finish the amplifier I will post some more pictures.

 

73, Benni TF3CY

TF1CY in CQ WPX 2012

Fun contest, but as I had to work all Friday I rushed to the summer house late Friday, raised the 22m high vertical and assembled the th7dx. Then it was dark and I finished connecting everything and tune out on 80m. I started the contest on 80m but I was then just to tired to continue throughout the night. I woke up early and finished getting the Th7dx mounted and raised the antenna. I got into a sticky situation when I forgot a u-clamp in the last taper section of the mast just under the rotor. The mast was bent there and I was very scared of losing the antenna. I got my brother (TF3SG) to come to my rescue – we lowered the antenna and after inspecting the tubing and installing the clamp we raised the antenna again and proper guy’s.

Conditions on 15m where hard and I kept losing my running freq. I tried few times to move to 20m but the QRM was just to much. I went back to 15. Sunday was better on 20m – and I got to around 800 contacts. I was not being heard well on 40m (tuning into the quarter wave intended for 80m).  I decided to go to 80m and I found a nice clean frequency and got a nice run  mostly EU but with handful of VE/W – I ended there with 1005 QSO’s.

 

73, Benni TF3CY / TF1CY

 

QRV in the ARRL contest 19-20 nov

I decided to put the antennas up and take part in the ARRL contest as the WX forecast was good – specially so late in the winter.

I have had some issues with aiming the antenna as the feedback from the G-5600B has been very flaky – I found out that it’s very likely a dirty pot in the back of the control unit. Then my beloved amp blew a fuse ;).

I’m hearing quite well – but sometimes it’s like people dont hear me!

 

I’m sad to have missed Japan and other Asia stations – but I have houses obstructing the east path to the moonrise! Now there is a clear plan forming to try to get VK/ZL/JA in the 2m EME log! I might have to wait for the moon to be in a northern declination – and perhaps move my QTH temporarily.

From my current QTH I dont see the moon from about 280° – 0 – 80° – and I always have to have at least 6° elevation.

update: Thank you for all your patience ! this was really fun – just under 100 QSO’s total in this try!

All QSO’s logged here on this page: http://www.tf3cy.is/eme-qso

73, Benni TF3CY

TF3SG and TF3CY visit HB9Q

Currently I’m on a small “eurotrip” with my family. I visited my brother TF3SG, that is staying with his family just outside of Zürich, Switzerland. I looked up some EU big guns and was very happy to see that we where staying just 60km from the HB9Q EME station. I was even happier when Dan HB9CRQ responded to my email and invited me to visit the station. Unforunatly Dan could not receive us the one evening we could make the trip, but Nick HB9EFK was going to be operating the station that evening. We made the journey and Nick showed us around. We where amazed to put it mildly, this is a truly unique station. Here are some pictures of the station I took – I’m still thinking about all the good ideas I got from this visit – this truly drives me to do better on EME 😉